- Parish Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary
- Stone Cross at the Church
- Chapel of the Saint Anne
- Sculpture of the Saint John of Nepomuk
- Castle and Estate in Jeseník nad Odrou
- Castle Park
The Parish Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary was built on the place of a wooden church, which burnt down in 1710. The count Rudolf of Witten had a new church brick presbytery /chancel built after the fire, the nave was added at the expense of Francis Rheinold of Andlern in 1752. The church façade is tri-axial; in the middle axis is a shallow Avant-corps with a three-storey build-up tower. A square stone portal is located in the Avant-corps with the date 1752 in the head lining and over that lays a segmented curved cornice. Under the cornice was until very recently a sandstone cartouche with the founder´s coat-of-arms. A prism tower with chamfered edges topped with a bulbous cupola and a lantern is together with the façade compositional joined to simple triangular wings. The presbytery /chancel is narrower than the nave; its mass is supplemented on the sides by rectangular outbuildings with lean-to roofs – on the evangelist side is the oratory, on the epistle side is the chapel on the ground floor. Along the circumference runs a moulded crown cornice, on the side façades of the nave and the presbytery / chancel are windows with semi-circular funicular arches. The interior is an arched barrel / wagon vault on arches with voussoirs; in the entrance is a vast brick organ loft.
The stone cross 1822, a local workmanship, proving the continuance of baroque sculpturing tradition in the 19th century. The cross is set on a high elevated pedestal with volute wings and a cornice ending. On the pedestal front is an oval cartouche shaped like an empire style sun, in which an oil painting on a metal sheet of Our Lady of Sorrows / Mother of Sorrows was embedded. On the rear side is an inscription "Renov 1931 / 1822". The cross baulks are concluded with lily-like ornaments, on the bottom, the vertical baulk is slightly extended. The
body / corpus is static without any indication of a hip movement, a long veil is tied with a rope, it reaches all the way down to the knees. The Christ´s head with closed eyes is slightly inclined to the right shoulder. The body and the cross embossed details were originally gilded; nowadays they are insensitively painted over with enamel.
A brick chapel from the year 1851, it is a proof of the continuance of baroque architectonical form in a village environment in the 19th century. The chapel has a longitudinal ground plan, the conclusion is slightly narrower and set-back, the corners in the set-back are chamfered. Along the building runs a moulded crown cornice. The façade is crowned by a gable with a volute /scrollwork coat-of-arms overbuilding; there is a saddle-back roof with a pinnacle and a lantern. The façade was at the end of the 1960s roughcast with cement plaster, the plastic details like the pilasters with palmettes on the capitals / chapiters and festoons on the gable and on the façade were removed. The chapel is situated in the centre of the village next to the house with the descriptive number 8.
A statue of rural character is situated in the village near the house with the descriptive number 122. It is one of the first in the northern Moravia; it was built just before the canonisation of Saint John of Nepomuk in the basilica of S. Giovanni di Laterano on the 19th March 1729 by the pope Benedict XIII.
Saint John of Nepomuk
Baron Rudolf Christoph Freiherr von Witten (+ 1733) had the statue built on the occasion of being conferred the title of count by the Emperor Joseph I. in 1708, the sculptor was presumably David Zürn the younger (1665-po 1724).
The statue of the saint is dressed in a canonical gown holding a cross with the body of the crucified Christ.
There is a chronogram 1708 on the front of the pedestal:
S./Ioannes/NepoMVCene/InterCeDe/pro nobIs (Saint John of Nepomuk, intercede for us)
TIbI s.IoannI/honorIs DefensorI/serVatorI propagatorI/ InhonoratIonIs/eXtIrpI Ita sIne VLapIterVoVI/CoMes a WItten (Dear Saint John, honoured defender, saviour, propagator dishonoured (So it had Count Witten marked out)
The castle was built by Rudolf Freiherr (free lord) of Witten. Until 1728 it was only partly built and not finished. In the course of following years every owner had participated in a way to the improvement of the castle building. The final appearance is of the late baroque style. Around the castle was a park set out, which was once rich in rare exotic trees like the Fagus sylvatica 'Purpurea' - beech tree, black pine, gingo biloba, platanus. The castle was then used as a summer residency by the owners; since 1707 it was the stewards´ duty to take care of the whole castle and the estate. Since that year onwards written reports emerge about its activities.
Castle owners since 1728:
1728 - 1790 Lords of Antlern and Witten, Castle and Estate in Jeseníku nad Odrou
1790 - 1800 Countess Maria Anna Freifrau (free Lady) of Gilleis,
1800 - 1821 Countess Maria Walburga Truchsess - Zeyl,
1821 - 1831 Imperial-Royal official clerk Valentin Laminet from Opava,
1831 - 1834 Franz Hubert Stucker knight of Meiershofer,
1834 - 1848 Emanuel Count Miremont,
1848 - 1851 Max Count Harnouncourt - Unverzagt,
1851 - 1862 industrialist Ferdinand Zinner from Vienna, after his death his wife Pauline.
Since Pauline died childless her niece Sarlota von Cischini inherited the castle; she died during World War II. The last mentioned castle owner was Heinrich Stecker, who was presumably only its steward. To the castle belonged a vast estate, which was founded a long time before the castle. As any other estates this one also had a manor brewery, which until 1896 was operational.
Allegedly had the Jesenik beer a very good reputation and was quite in demand. It had an in-house bar. But the often change of brewers and the competition of the surrounding more modern city breweries lead to its downfall and in 1900 to its change from a brewery into a malt house. But that also ceased to exist after the World War I. Until 1945 was the building used as a pub. It was the house with the description number 3.
Currently is the castle in private ownership, it is undergoing a complete reconstruction and therefore closed for the public.
The castle park is a natural park with landscape character, bordering on the west side with a road, on the east side with acres, on the south with estate outbuildings and in the north with a pond. The park is followed up by an alley around the pond. Still in the 1960s there stood a statue of Saint Hubertus in the eastern part of the park, but nowadays there is only the remaining pedestal. The park is unattended.
Significant timber species: white soft pine; English oak or pedunculate oak, London plane tree.